Norman Mailer | MoonFire The Epic Journey of Apollo 11 | 50th Anniversary Edition
No one captured the men, the mood, and the machinery of the Moon landing like Norman Mailer. One of the greatest writers of the 20th century, he was hired by LIFE magazine in 1969 to cover the Moon shot. He enhanced his reportage in the brilliantly crafted book, Of a Fire on the Moon, which is excerpted here.
Equally adept at examining the science of space travel and the psychology of the people involved-from Saturn V rocket engineer Wernher von Braun to the crucial NASA support staff to the three astronauts-Mailer provides provocative and trenchant insights into this epoch-making event.
This 50-year anniversary edition of MoonFire includes:
- captions by leading Apollo 11 experts that explain the history and science behind the images, citing the mission log, publications of the day, and postflight astronaut interviews
- an evocative introduction by Colum McCann celebrates Mailer's incomparable skill at transforming "the science of space... the weight of history... the breadth of mythology" into prose
- hundreds of photographs and maps from the NASA vaults, magazine archives, and private collections. These images document the development of the agency and the mission, life inside the command module and on the Moon's surface, and the world's jubilant reaction to the landing.
- By Norman Mailer.
- Contributing author Colum McCann
- Hardback with fold-outs
- 348 pages
- Publisher: Taschen GmbH; Anniversary edition (26 April 2019)
- Product Dimensions: 28.6 x 3.8 x 33.7 cm
Just one of our Astronomy & Space books at Royal Museums Greenwich.
+ Read more - Show less
FREE UK Delivery for orders over £50
Due to the measures we have put in place to keep our E-Commerce team safe, processing and fulfillment times can take up to 5-7 working days. Please see our FAQs for more information.
FREE UK delivery for orders over £50.
For all other orders, we offer a flat rate of £4.95 per order.
Orders are sent using a tracked service, and please allow a further 1-2 working days to receive, except for Custom Prints (those which are customised by choosing a size and frame) which take a little longer as they are made to order. Please see our Delivery & Returns page for more information.
International Delivery Information
Delivery rate varies by country and value of order, and starts from as little as £6.95. Please see our Delivery & Returns page for all delivery rates.
All international orders are sent on a RoyalMail/Parcelforce tracked delivery service (details available on request). Please allow 5-7 working days to receive after we have dispatched, although due to ongoing coronavirus measures, some customers may experience further delays.
Please see our FAQs for more information.
Custom Prints (those which are customised by choosing a size and frame) take a little longer due to being made to order. Please see our Delivery & Returns page for more information.
For all returns, please contact us as soon as possible using the contact form, expressing your wish to return. Please wait for confirmation from one of our team before returning. Under new safety measures, returns will be held for 3 working days before handling.
Please see our Delivery & Returns page for full information.
Every purchase supports the work of Royal Museums Greenwich
All proceeds from all purchases made on the Royal Museums Greenwich online shop support the work of the museum.
Thank you for your continued support.