Astronaut Owners' Workshop Manual by Dr Ken MacTaggart
The book begins with early ideas about astronauts in science fiction and film portrayals of the role. It goes on to cover recruitment and the application process to become an astronaut with NASA and ESA, and the qualifications and fitness required for various astronaut roles.
The book is written in a style accessible to the layperson, while including sufficient technical details to satisfy more knowledgeable readers.
It also captures the excitement and wonder of spaceflight, making extensive use of astronaut biographies and interviews to uncover the real human experience, as much as technical information to provide detail to satisfy those curious about how it works .
You will discover:
- Training for different types of astronaut roles (pilot, scientist, payload specialist, space walker, Moon walker)
- Different types of missions are described (sub-orbital, Earth orbit, living aboard the International Space Station (ISS), lunar flight and landing, driving on the Moon, and planned future missions to asteroids and Mars)
- The equipment used by astronauts including clothing, space suits, tools, backpacks, zero-gravity toilets, food stations
- The experience of space flight on typical missions, illustrated by the accounts of real astronauts on actual flights the experience of launch, first reactions to Zero-G, exiting the hatch for a spacewalk, the views of Earth, walking on the Moon, and re-entering the Earth's atmosphere
- By Dr Ken MacTaggart
- Hardcover: 176 pages
- Publisher: J H Haynes & Co Ltd (23 Jan. 2017)
- Language: English
- Dimensions: 21.9 x 1.6 x 27.9 cm
Just one of our definitive Astronomy & Space books at Royal Museums Greenwich.+ Read more - Show less
FREE UK Delivery for orders over £50
Due to the measures we have put in place to keep our E-Commerce team safe, processing and fulfillment times can take up to 3-5 working days. Please see our FAQs for more information.
FREE UK delivery for orders over £50.
For all other orders, we offer a flat rate of £4.95 per order.
Orders are sent using a tracked service, and please allow a further 1-2 working days to receive, except for Custom Prints (those which are customised by choosing a size and frame) which take a little longer as they are made to order. Please see our Delivery & Returns page for more information.
International Delivery Information
Delivery rate varies by country and value of order, and starts from as little as £6.95. Please see our Delivery & Returns page for all delivery rates.
Due to the measures we have put in place to keep our E-Commerce team safe, processing and fulfillment times can take up to 3-5 working days.
All international orders are sent on a RoyalMail/Parcelforce tracked delivery service (details available on request). Please allow 5-7 working days to receive after we have dispatched, although due to ongoing coronavirus measures, some customers may experience further delays.
Please see our FAQs for more information.
Custom Prints (those which are customised by choosing a size and frame) take a little longer due to being made to order. Please see our Delivery & Returns page for more information.
For all returns, please contact us as soon as possible using the contact form, expressing your wish to return. Please wait for confirmation from one of our team before returning. Under new safety measures, returns will be held for 3 working days before handling.
Please see our Delivery & Returns page for full information.
Every purchase supports the work of Royal Museums Greenwich
All proceeds from all purchases made on the Royal Museums Greenwich online shop support the work of the museum.
Should you wish to, you can now add a voluntary donation to your order. All donations, big or small, will make a difference.
Thank you for your continued support.