Large Armillary Sphere
A wondrous decorative ornament inspired by the armillary sphere astronomical instrument.
- Armillary sphere shows the Earth at its centre surrounded by rings which represent the great circles of the heavens
- Used during the 17th and 18th centuries in scientific debate over the relative merits of what was at the centre of the universe – the Sun or the Earth.
- Brass armillary sphere with an antique finish
- Base made from polished hardwood
- Dimensions: 26 x 20cm | 10.2 x 7.8in (including base)
Visit the Queen's House and Royal Observatory Greenwich to discover more about the astronomical instruments in our collection.