Royal Observatory Greenwich 7x50mm Porro Celestron Binoculars
The ideal binoculars for stargazing and great for binocular sky watching, these Royal Observatory Greenwich 7x50mm Porro Celestron Binoculars have a wide field of view which reveals a larger portion of the night sky, making them ideal for astronomical observation.
The large 50mm objective lenses and coated optics offer amazing light-gathering capabilities that bring celestial objects into bright, sharp focus, making them perfect for comet watching, stargazing, and viewing craters on the Moon. Royal Observatory Greenwich Porro Prism 7x50mm’s wide field of view lets you explore expansive swathes of the sky to quickly pinpoint exactly the object you want to see, then keeps it in your sights without constant movement.
From our astronomer here at Royal Observatory Greenwich:
“Whether you want to zoom in on the ‘seas’ of the Moon, follow the paths of the Galilean moons of Jupiter or count the stars in the Pleiades, a pair of binoculars is a fantastic choice for stargazing - particularly for those just starting out. Far simpler to use than most telescopes, and far more affordable too, you can still achieve excellent views of the night sky.
In fact, in the case of some larger objects in the sky, like the Hyades cluster, you might just get a better view than a telescope can offer. If you have difficulty keeping your binoculars still, consider a tripod, or monopod to steady your view while you gaze at the majesty of the Universe.”
Dr Greg Brown is an astronomer working at Royal Observatory Greenwich. In his time in research at the University of Warwick, he studied some of the largest explosions in the Universe and the supermassive black holes hiding in distant galaxies.
Coated optics dramatically increase light transmission bringing celestial objects into bright, sharp focus, for brighter images with increased contrast and resolution and the large exit pupil provides maximum light during night-time and low-light viewing sessions.
These binoculars are designed and intended for use by those 14 years of age and older and make the perfect introduction to binocular sky watching, night sky observation and astronomy.
Also suitable for birdwatching, trainspotting and other hobbies. Great portability means these binoculars are easy to carry in a rucksack or in the car.
Caution: viewing the sun may cause permanent eye damage. Do not view the sun with your binoculars or with the naked eye.
- Wide field of view reveals a larger portion of the night sky, allowing you to view more of the comet's impressive tail
- Large 50 mm objective lenses have tremendous light-gathering ability, ideal for astronomical use
- Multi-coated optics dramatically increase light transmission for brighter images with increased contrast and resolution
- Large exit pupil provides maximum light during night-time and low-light viewing sessions
- Strong and durable aluminium housing
- Magnification: 7x
- Objective Lens Diameter: 50mm (1.97")
- Angular Field of View: 6.6°
- Linear Field of View (@1000 yds) / @1000 m): 348 ft (116 m)
- Exit Pupil: 7mm (.28")
- Eye Relief: 14mm (.51")
- Close Focus: 30 ft (10 m)
- Interpupillary Distance (max): 72mm (2.83")
- Interpupillary Distance (min): 56mm (2.20")
- Dioptre Adjustment Range: ±3
- Lens Coatings: Coated
- Prism Glass (Type): BK7
- Weight: 3 oz (774 g)
- Environmental Protection: Water Resistant
- Nitrogen Filled: No
- Tripod Adaptable: Yes
- Carrying Case: Woven Nylon
- Dimensions: 168mm x 198mm x 64mm (6.6" x 7.8" x 2.5")
- Included Items: Neck strap, Carrying case, Objective lens caps, Eyepiece caps, Lens cloth, Instruction manual
- Celestron in association with the Royal Observatory Greenwich
- To maximize your enjoyment of this binocular, please read the instruction manual included before using it
- Never look directly at the Sun with the naked eye or with this optic. Permanent and irreversible eye damage may result.
- Never use your optic to project an image of the Sun onto any surface. Internal heat build-up can damage the optic and any accessories attached to it.
- Never leave your optic unsupervised. Make sure an adult who is familiar with the correct operating procedures is with your optic at all times, especially when children are present
The Royal Observatory Greenwich is the home of Greenwich Mean Time and the Prime Meridian, and one of the most important historic scientific sites in the world. Since its founding in 1675, Greenwich has been at the centre of the measurement of time and space.+ Read more - Show less
FREE UK Delivery for orders over £50
Our standard processing
and fulfillment time is 1-2 working days from the time you placed your order, excluding Custom Prints, online-only telescopes and personalised clothing.
All UK orders (excluding personalised clothing) are sent using a tracked service.
Custom Prints (those which are customised by choosing a size and frame) and personalised clothing take a little longer to fulfill due to being made to order.
Please see our Delivery & Returns page for more information and last order dates.
Online-only telescopes are shipped directly from Celestron.
FREE Standard UK delivery for all orders over £50 (Royal Mail)
For all other orders, we offer Standard UK delivery for £4.95 per order (Royal Mail).
We also offer UK FedEx 1-3 Working Days for £9.90. Excludes Custom Prints and Personalised Clothing.
International Delivery Information
Delivery rate varies by country and value of order, and starts from as little as £6.95.
Please allow 5-7 working days for standard orders to be dispatched.
Custom Prints (those which are customised by choosing a size and frame) and personalised clothing take a little longer to fulfill due to being made to order. Please see our recommended last order dates for these items on our Delivery & Returns page.
We send using a Royal Mail/FedEx tracked delivery service (excluding personalised products). Please allow 7-10 working days to receive after we have dispatched.
Please see our Delivery & Returns page for all information.
For all returns, please contact us as soon as possible using the contact form, expressing your wish to return. Please wait for confirmation from one of our team before returning.
Custom Prints (those which are customised by choosing a size and frame) and personalised clothing are made to order and therefore we are unable to offer a refund or exchange, unless they are faulty.
Please see our Delivery & Returns page for full information.
Every purchase supports the work of Royal Museums Greenwich
All proceeds from all purchases made on the Royal Museums Greenwich online shop support the work of the museum.
Should you wish to, you can now add a voluntary donation to your order. All donations, big or small, will make a difference.
Thank you for your continued support.