Celestron StarSense Explorer DX 5 Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
Celestron's StarSense Explorer is ideal for astronomy and stargazing beginners thanks to software which will analyse the night sky and calculate its position in real time. The app’s user-friendly interface and detailed tutorials are like having your own personal tour guide of the night sky. Connect your phone and go on a guided tour of the Universe!
Leave complicated star charts, imprecise planetarium apps, and computerised mounts behind. With StarSense Explorer, locating objects has never been easier, faster, or more accurate. Within minutes of setting up the telescope, you’ll be navigating the sky with confidence. Simply place your phone in the unique StarSense dock and launch the StarSense Explorer app. After aligning your phone to the telescope’s optics, StarSense Explorer generates a list of celestial objects currently visible. Make your selection and arrows appear onscreen, guiding you as you to move the telescope. When the object is ready to view, the bullseye turns green.
StarSense Explorer uses patented technology and your smartphone to determine exactly where the telescope is pointed in the night sky. A Lost in Space Algorithm (LISA), like the ones satellites use in orbit to correctly orient themselves, helps the app match star patterns it detects overhead to its internal database.
An ultra-stable altazimuth mount provides a sturdy foundation for StarSense Explorer DX. Slip clutches and geared slow motion controls in both axes help you move the telescope smoothly and zero in your target. As celestial objects appear to drift across the night sky, you’ll be able to follow them with just a few turns of the knobs. It’s all anchored by an adjustable, full-height tripod.
With a large 5” Schmidt-Cassegrain optical tube—Celestron’s tried-and-true optical design for over 50 years—this telescope has enough light gathering ability to bring out impressive detail in celestial objects while remaining compact and lightweight. You can expect sharp, bright views of Jupiter’s four Galilean moons, its cloud bands and Great Red Spot, the rings of Saturn, the trapezium in the Orion Nebula, and the beautiful Pleaides Open Star Cluster.
All air-to-glass surfaces are coated with our StarBright XLT optical coatings to visibly increase contrast and light transmission for brighter deep space views. With StarBright XLT, you’ll be able to discern subtle details while viewing the Moon and planets as well as faint galaxies and nebulae. StarSense Explorer is advanced enough to be able to pick out Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, the Orion Nebula, double stars, and a few more of the most famous celestial objects.
• Award-winning and patented StarSense sky recognition technology uses your smartphone to analyze star patterns overhead and calculate its position in real time.
• StarSense Explorer app automatically generates a list of objects currently visible. View planets, brighter nebulae and galaxies, star clusters, and double stars from the city. Or take your telescope to darker skies to view faint, deep sky objects.
• Manual altazimuth mount with smooth, dual-axis slow-motion controls makes it easy to follow the on-screen arrows to your desired target. When the bullseye turns green, it’s ready to view in the telescope’s eyepiece.
• 5” Schmidt-Cassegrain optical tube with StarBright XLT coatings and enough light gathering ability to view all the best celestial objects.
• Includes 25mm and 10mm eyepieces, StarSense smartphone dock, a red dot finderscope (in case you want to use the telescope without your phone), an erect image diagonal, and a sturdy, full-height tripod..
- Optical Design: Schmidt-Cassegrain
- Aperture: 125mm (5")
- Focal Length: 1250mm (49.21")
- Focal Ratio: f/10
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 1: 25mm (0.98")
- Magnification of Eyepiece 1: 50x
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 2: 10mm (0.39")
- Magnification of Eyepiece 2: 150x
- Finderscope: StarPointer™
- red dot finderscope
- Star Diagonal: Erect image 90° (1.25")
- Optical Tube: Aluminium
- Highest Useful Magnification: 295x
- Lowest Useful Magnification: 18x
- Optical Coatings: StarBright XLT
- Optical Tube Length: 330mm (13")
- Optical Tube Diameter: 171.45mm (6.75")
- Optical Tube Weight: 5 lbs (2.26 kg)
- Mount Type: Manual Alt-Azimuth
- Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod): Aluminium, 1320.8mm (52") max height
- Tripod Leg Diameter: 31.75mm (1.25") steel
- Tripod Weight: 3.8 lbs (1.72 kg)
- GPS: Uses phone's GPS
- Alignment Procedures: Use StarSense Explorer App
- Software: StarSense Explorer App, SkyPortal App, and Celestron Starry Night Basic Edition Software
- Total Kit Weight: 9 lbs (4.08 kg)
- Included Items: Optical tube
- Mount and tripod (preassembled)
- 25mm and 10mm eyepieces
- Erect image diagonal
- StarPointer finderscope
- Accessory tray
- StarSense Explorer phone dock
Available to purchase online only. Please note: this telescope can only be shipped to UK addresses.+ Read more - Show less
FREE UK Delivery for orders over £50
Our current holiday season UK standard processing
and fulfillment time is 5-7 working days from the time you placed your order, excluding Custom Prints, online-only telescopes and personalised clothing.
All UK orders (excluding personalised clothing) are sent using a tracked service.
Custom Prints (those which are customised by choosing a size and frame) and personalised clothing take a little longer to fulfill due to being made to order.
Please see our Delivery & Returns page for more information and last order dates.
Online-only telescopes are shipped directly from Celestron. Please place your order before 12 noon on 18th December.
FREE Standard UK delivery for all orders over £50 (Royal Mail)
For all other orders, we offer Standard UK delivery for £4.95 per order (Royal Mail).
We also offer UK FedEx 1-3 Working Days for £9.90. Excludes Custom Prints and Personalised Clothing. Please place your order by 19th December.
International Delivery Information
Delivery rate varies by country and value of order, and starts from as little as £6.95.
Please allow 5-7 working days for standard orders to be dispatched.
Custom Prints (those which are customised by choosing a size and frame) and personalised clothing take a little longer to fulfill due to being made to order. Please see our recommended last order dates for these items on our Delivery & Returns page.
We send using a Royal Mail/FedEx tracked delivery service (excluding personalised products). Please allow 7-10 working days to receive after we have dispatched.
Please see our Delivery & Returns page for all information.
For all returns, please contact us as soon as possible using the contact form, expressing your wish to return. Please wait for confirmation from one of our team before returning.
Custom Prints (those which are customised by choosing a size and frame) and personalised clothing are made to order and therefore we are unable to offer a refund or exchange, unless they are faulty.
Please see our Delivery & Returns page for full information.
Every purchase supports the work of Royal Museums Greenwich
All proceeds from all purchases made on the Royal Museums Greenwich online shop support the work of the museum.
Should you wish to, you can now add a voluntary donation to your order. All donations, big or small, will make a difference.
Thank you for your continued support.