Celestron StarSense Explorer 8 Dobsonian Telescope
Celestron has reinvented the Dobsonian telescope with the StarSense Explorer —the first Dobsonian that uses your smartphone to analyse the night sky and calculate its position in real-time.
This large-aperture Celestron StarSense Explorer is ideal for serious astronomy beginners, thanks to the app's user-friendly interface and detailed tutorials. It's like having your own personal tour guide of the night sky as you pursue your astronomical adventures. This telescope is great for fans of stargazing to make the most of the starry night sky. View planets, brighter nebulae and galaxies, star clusters, and double stars. Connect your smartphone and take a guided tour of the universe.
Leave complicated star charts, imprecise planetarium apps, and computerised mounts behind. With StarSense Explorer, locating objects has never been easier, faster, or more accurate. Within minutes of setting up the telescope, you'll be navigating the sky with confidence. Simply place your phone in the unique StarSense dock and launch the StarSense Explorer app.
After aligning your phone to the telescope's optics, StarSense Explorer generates a list of celestial objects currently visible. Make your selection and arrows appear on-screen, guiding you as you move the telescope. When the object is ready to view in the eyepiece, the bullseye turns green. As you observe, listen to hundreds of audio descriptions and view detailed information about thousands of objects within the app’s robust database.
• A large 8” parabolic primary mirror with XLT coatings helps you make the most of StarSense technology. Locate faint, deep-sky objects in seconds and see them in more detail than ever before.
• A sturdy, Dobsonian-style base with large diameter bearings and variable altitude tensioning makes it easy to follow the on-screen arrows to your desired target. When the bullseye turns green, it's ready to view in the telescope's eyepiece.
• StarSense Explorer app automatically generates a list of objects currently visible. View planets, brighter nebulae and galaxies, star clusters, and double stars from the city. Or take your telescope to darker skies to see even more.
• Includes a 25mm Plössl eyepiece, a 2” Crayford focuser, the StarSense smartphone dock, a StarPointer™ red dot finderscope, an eyepiece rack, and a collimation tool.
- Optical Design: Newtonian Reflector
- Aperture: 203mm (8")
- Focal Length: 1200mm (47.24")
- Focal Ratio: f/5.9
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 1: 25mm (0.98")
- Magnification of Eyepiece 1: 48x
- Highest Useful Magnification: 480x
- Lowest Useful Magnification: 29x
- Optical Coatings: XLT reflective coatings with silicon dioxide and tantalum pentoxide protective overcoating’s for primary and secondary mirrors
- Mirror Material: Pyrex equivalent for primary and secondary mirrors
- Primary Mirror Thickness: 25mm (0.98") (approx. 1:8 thickness ratio)
- Secondary Mirror Thickness: 8.5mm (0.33")
- Minor Axis of Secondary Mirror: 47mm (1.85")
- Tube Material: Steel
- Focuser: 2" Crayford focuser, includes 2" extension tube and 2"-to-1.25" adapter
- Finderscope: StarPointer™ red-dot finderscope
- Optical Tube Dimensions: 1117.6mm x 241.3mm diameter (44" x 9.5" diameter)
- Optical Tube Weight: 20.6 lbs (9.34 kg)
- Mount Type: Altazimuth Dobsonian base
- Base Material: Particle board with melamine surfaces and edge trim, CARB compliant
- Base Dimensions: 685.8mm x 482.6mm x 482.6mm (27" x 19" x 19")
- Base Weight: 22.8 lbs (10.3 kg)
- Software: Celestron Starry Night Basic Edition Software and StarSense Explorer App
- Total Telescope Kit Weight: 43.4 lbs (19.68 kg)
- Included Items: Optical tube
- Dobsonian Base
- 25mm eyepiece
- 2" Crayford focuser
- StarPointer™ red-dot finderscope
- StarSense Explorer dock
- StarSense Explorer unlock code
- Eyepiece rack
- Collimation cap
- Celestron Starry Night Basic Edition Software
Available for purchase online only. Please note this telescope can only be shipped to UK addresses.+ Read more - Show less
FREE UK Delivery for orders over £50
Our current holiday season UK standard processing
and fulfillment time is 5-7 working days from the time you placed your order, excluding Custom Prints, online-only telescopes and personalised clothing.
All UK orders (excluding personalised clothing) are sent using a tracked service.
Custom Prints (those which are customised by choosing a size and frame) and personalised clothing take a little longer to fulfill due to being made to order.
Please see our Delivery & Returns page for more information and last order dates.
Online-only telescopes are shipped directly from Celestron. Please place your order before 12 noon on 18th December.
FREE Standard UK delivery for all orders over £50 (Royal Mail)
For all other orders, we offer Standard UK delivery for £4.95 per order (Royal Mail).
We also offer UK FedEx 1-3 Working Days for £9.90. Excludes Custom Prints and Personalised Clothing. Please place your order by 19th December.
International Delivery Information
Delivery rate varies by country and value of order, and starts from as little as £6.95.
Please allow 5-7 working days for standard orders to be dispatched.
Custom Prints (those which are customised by choosing a size and frame) and personalised clothing take a little longer to fulfill due to being made to order. Please see our recommended last order dates for these items on our Delivery & Returns page.
We send using a Royal Mail/FedEx tracked delivery service (excluding personalised products). Please allow 7-10 working days to receive after we have dispatched.
Please see our Delivery & Returns page for all information.
For all returns, please contact us as soon as possible using the contact form, expressing your wish to return. Please wait for confirmation from one of our team before returning.
Custom Prints (those which are customised by choosing a size and frame) and personalised clothing are made to order and therefore we are unable to offer a refund or exchange, unless they are faulty.
Please see our Delivery & Returns page for full information.
Every purchase supports the work of Royal Museums Greenwich
All proceeds from all purchases made on the Royal Museums Greenwich online shop support the work of the museum.
Should you wish to, you can now add a voluntary donation to your order. All donations, big or small, will make a difference.
Thank you for your continued support.